Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cars, cars, cars, and cars

I'm very sad of what happened to the Multipla last night.

As of 2 weeks ago, the Transit has been sold to Uncle Lai as we've hardly any use for it anymore. I miss it.

Uncle Kwai drove 1612 back for a visit today. It was in horrible condition. I feel sad for it.

Got the V230 back today and finally had time to check it out real as well as drive it. Lots of creature comfort and amenities in the car, it will double up real good as a people carrier or goods transporter, too bad you really can't expect anything nice aesthetics-wise from the Germans; the exterior is bland and the interior is fugly as hell.

While checking out the car, I noticed something though:
Photobucket

Photobucket
CHI SIN!! That's all I have to say about the undercarriage. How could it be so clean?!!! Siao man, I thought it was already weird that all the interior carpets are still wrapped in plastic, but even the undercarriage looks so.. NEW! Madness! The van is in incredibly immaculate condition. Recall those "Must see to believe!" claims in Motortrader? Some things need to be seen to be believed.

Anyway, I mentioned I drove the van too, so how was it? One word: sucks.

OK, one word is not enough, I'll elaborate a bit. The steering is numb. The slippery seats offer no lateral support at all, trying to throw me off at every corner. The auto gearbox is stupid. I knew from the get-go that it's no match for Citroen's Hydractive awesomeness, but the Airmatic suspension is epic fail; it couldn't even absorb small bumps properly, even the Multipla and Transit absorb bumps better than it, and they handle better too! Speaking of handling, I think the V230 seriously lacks in that department. It has no cojones in corners. Mou chun doi. Tarak bola langsung. What a wuss. Or maybe it was me. Anyway, it made my balls shrink in the corners, I didn't enjoy the drive. End of rant. At the end of the day, I'll still drive it when I've no other choice. Beggars can't be choosers :p

9 comments:

kev said...

lol its a sole reason why the mercedes vito was never a popular choice. people end up choosing alphard and all. then again its a merc, it is there for the brand-name sake. haha. i guess u and i are alike, we tend to collect weird cars, lol

leong soon said...

Haha, apart from the handling, my Dad likes it though, and it's his money, not mine, I just get to drive, cannot complain eh, cannot complain :D

I do have a for taste for the peculiar, weird and queer though; convention bores me :)

kev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kev said...

well, yeah, didnt ur dad considered a opel/chevrolet zafira or renault espace. hahaha. they could be good cars too and its european too. too bad bmw doesnt make mpv (it will look weird too anyways, lol)

kev said...

my dads daily commuter car is a ssangyong rexton 2.7xdi. haha fuel economy is crazy with the mercedes-benz derived engine. haha, rm145 for 750 kms, imagine that

leong soon said...

Hehe, I can believe that mileage; the Multipla moves us 700+ kms with 65 litres of diesel, in the city!! Variable gGeometry turbochargers and commonrail injection does wonder for power and economy!

kev said...

sad ur multipla isnt around, haha. ur dad should consider some other rides. i mean the vito was never successful in malaysia. then again, anyone wants to drive a car with the three pointed star badging. i even noticed one uncle who had to cramp into a mercedes benz a-class. im thinking, is it worth it to buy something like a k-car benz? lol, might as well buy a honda beat 660cc, u will get more attention

leong soon said...

We did, was eying both an Evasion/806 and C8/807. Then the stupid Vito came around, it was a very good deal.

Btw, although I don't like it, I think the A-Class is pretty nimble and stable, drove and rode one before, didn't dislike it :D Honda Beat, well, why have only one chick for the ride when you can have 4 with the A-class? Priorities, dude, priorities ^^

kev said...

actually, i dont hate anything about the a-class, but the earlier cars had problems and failed the famous swedish elk test. that is, it is supposed to maneuver and avoid an elk, but it failed. cars like volvo and saab have been doing this test for years. it really put mercedes-benz to shame. the newer a-class is however based on the mitsubishi colt. might as well get a colt then!

Rating