Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ford Transit facelift parts arrived!

During Dad, Mom, and Sis's trip to China early this year, they spotted quite a number of Mark V Ford Transit, the same model that we've had for nearly a decade now, only that the ones from China have HID headlamps, a larger and sportier grille, nicer looking signals and bumper, all factory stock. Needless to say, Dad liked it a lot and I was really excited too when he showed me the pics.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
An old pic of our Ford Transit, it's bumpers has since been painted gold, and the hubcaps have since all went their own ways while on the highway :p

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
China's version of the Ford Transit

Dad got Uncle Kwai's help to buy the parts required for the facelift. To save shipping costs, we had it come together with the company ship, which took quite some time. Enough about boring history though, we finally got the parts 2 weeks ago! Here's how they look like:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Right headlamp, HIDs, nice huh

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Left headlamp, so stylish :p

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Headlamp brackets; these need to be welded on to the body, getting an aquainttance to do this for us

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Grille, and it's got a nice honeycomb pattern!! Logo is actually a shade of dark blue, not black

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The front bumper, nothing special here, but it completes the look

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Side blinkers, bought by mistake, don't think we're gonna use this, going for the clear ones

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Right turn indicator

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Left turn indicator

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The front lamp assemblies! Darn stylo! Can't wait to try it out on the highways at night, current headlamps are lousy

OK, that's all for now. Tried installing these just now, but it turns out the original headlamp brackets have to be shaved off first, and we don't have the proper tools, getting the panel uncle to get it done for us. More pics then!



13 comments:

Russ said...

wow, looks like china is more advanced than us! hehehe.. and the parts must be quite affordable also, right?

leongsoon said...

Yep, all those juicy parts and the mudflaps cost just a little over RM1200, but the quality's good, after all, it's OEM stuff :)

Chaoz said...

leong,in malaysia where can find those parts?

addy said...

hi, im thinking of buying a ford transit for my company use. i prefer 1997 or 1998 model. is it a good decision? i love the space inside. basically what are the problems that surface after 10yrs? about the engine.. is it possible to convert to toyota model? suggestion?

thank you.

leong soon said...

Hehe, ask me and I'll say go for a Transit over any Toyota or Nissan vans anytime, but I might be biased :D It's hard to get one in good condition nowadays.

Anyway, the Transit's really spacious, it's wide, the roof is high, and it handles well, very well. I don't think there's really much problem with ours even after 10 years of frequent use, apart from the starter switch failing to work sometimes, normally you just turn the key a second time and it will start, if it doesn't just install a secondary starter switch. I think we went through at least 3 alternators though, but maybe that's because our Transit's a bit loaded and requires 2 batteries to keep the entertainment equipment going, otherwise you should be fine I guess.

We had a minor overhaul a few years ago and that was it. Keep the fuel pump clean and you'll be happy too. Engine conversions are possible of course; I've driven one with a Nissan 2.7l engine dunked in, and another with a Toyota powerplant in it. Oh yeah, the plastic headlamps tend to become sun-damaged too after the years, not a problem if you know how to fix it or get replacement units, otherwise, rubber and plastic bits tend to last very long too; we haven't had the need to replace any rubber so far.

I've driven my fair share of MPVs and large vans, and trust me when I say there're only a few other vans I'll prefer over the Transit (the few being Citroens, Peugeots, or Fiats). The Transit's large alright, but it's very nimble, steering and gearshifts are very direct, parking is easy, very easy. The ones in Malaysia are diesels though, so don't expect much acceleration-wise, brakes are a bit on the weak side too once you go over 140kph (about maximum), but with the van being so stable there's rarely the need to brake on those highway corners. The Transit's fuel economy is acceptable, 600+ kilometres on a full tank, highway travel. I think most commercial examples are selling for about RM2xxxx now, so a nice one might cost you a bit more, hope this helps, I'm just glad someone appreciate these old workhorses, I love em a lot, served us very well :)

iain said...

Hello Leong

You are welcome to join us here (if you Havent already!)

www.fordtransit.org

leong soon said...

Thanks for the offer Iain! As much as I'd love too I'd rather not join as my dad has sold the Transit recently, and I'm kinda sad about it. Maybe I will one day, when we get another Transit, I know I do want one! Until then, thanks to you all for keeping the Transit spirit alive!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
krzysiek said...

Hi,
I'm Polish. I need to buy the white light to the Ford Transit.
In Europe, there are no such.
Please help me.
Please address online store where they buy the lamp.
Please contact me via email 303miki@interia.pl

Regards
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey there excellent blog! Does running a blog such as this take a large amount of work?
I've virtually no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject nevertheless I simply wanted to ask. Thanks a lot!

Here is my web blog ... anuncios clasificados gratis

Anonymous said...

I hardly leave responses, however i did some searching and wound up here "Ford Transit facelift parts arrived!".

And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind.
Could it be only me or does it seem like a few of the responses look like
they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if
you are writing at other places, I would like to follow everything
new you have to post. Could you list of all of your public pages like
your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

My web page; acoustic guitar a chord

Anonymous said...

e cig reviews, best e cigarette, ecig forum, e cigarette reviews, e cigarette, ecigarette

Rating